PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France jet clips smaller plane at New York's JFK airport
Old 12th Apr 2011, 20:06
HotelT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Every 747-driver flying into JFK knows the dangers of taxiing at JFK (even worse during low visibility and snow/blizard conditions). Quite a few times I have stopped during taxi, suspecting insufficient clearance (which, BTW, is really hard to see from 30 feet up, with a wingspan of –only- 213 feet, just being able to see your wingtip), or mix-up in the routing. Most of the time there was no problem, but twice I was right in stopping the aircraft (to improve flight safety: you should hear the comments of the JFK ground/apron controllers). Now, I only visit JFK about twice a year, but if I have already experienced this twice, then (potential) ground incidents must be (at least) a daily occurrence. Which brings me to the question of whether taxiing at JFK with the supers (and even heavies) is an accident waiting to happen.

Also, remember the A380 BKK mishap in sep 2007 .. and those guys were (home turf)Thai pilots and Airbus testpilots. Why are there no (legal requirements for) pilot aids to detect/avoid taxi mishaps for these aircraft and why don’t companies insist on installing them? Every two bit car is equipped with such a system, why not a $300 mln aircraft (with a similar system)?

Perhaps it is up to the (international) pilot community to start writing safety reports each time ground clearance was (potentially) compromised. Incidents and accidents are piling up (even with follow me cars and marshallers). Just blaming the pilot is not only very convenient but also highly ineffective in preventing future accidents.