PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LEEDS 5
Thread: LEEDS 5
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2011, 10:56
pug

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts
In total the doncaster airport region will receieve 1.7 billion pounds, plus whatever they can get from European funding....I doubt that Peel holding actually bought the airport, i think it was given to them!!!! all the cost of developing the airport etc has come from funding from one source or another, non has come from peel itslelf....
I think you've read it wrong. The £1.7 billion quoted is the anticipated benefits to the local economy, along with the 21,000 jobs. Both being quoted by the councils 'regeneration experts', so both figures likely to be largely on the optimistic side.

£18 million is being awarded by the regional growth fund (from a pot of £450 million), yet the estimates for the scheme from a couple of years ago put it at over £100 million, and thats before any soil has been touched so will be a conservative estimate.

The rest of the money is supposed to be coming from the private sector as agreed last year, but the sum total of building the scheme (assuming Peel/VAS would be the other main backer) would be more than the cost of actually building the airport itself.

Makes you wonder whether they have bloated the cost of the 'White Rose Way' scheme in their application to the EU