PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Legal Question - Flying From Private Property?
Old 12th Apr 2011, 04:13
John Eacott

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunfish
Shrike, I checked with a local and Raymond Island is already inhabited by a helicopter and an aircraft on its own strip, as well as the birds and Koalas.

The question is what is "reasonable", a previous poster has stated that "reasonable" is 10 to 20 movements a day in NSW. My definition would be about 4 to 6. As for circuits and low flying, I agree, either invite the neighbours for a joy ride or don't do it.

The other issue is that "loss of amenity" cuts both ways. A little Rotax noise for a few minutes weighs up pretty well to avoiding a Five hour drive from Melbourne.
Just further east towards LE is Fraser Island with a strip already there: I landed there some years ago when it first went up for sale, desirable residence with lots of potential

IIRC, Victoria considers <2 movements a week to be reasonable, so be prepared for a bun fight if you want > 2 a day! Loss of amenities is the argument for the objectors and will not factor into any argument put up by the proponent to the contrary, ie saving a 5 hour drive. Your improvement in life is not an argument to detract from your neighbours perceived loss of amenity in the eyes of VCAT.

Unfortunately taking the neighbours for a ride is a chicken and egg situation, as you shouldn't be operating to give them the flight(s) until you have planning permission for which you need them not to object!!