PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - self funded guys
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2011, 16:16
BoeingDreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Save money, and only when you have ALL money for PPL do you start doing it, and make sure you time it with good weather season.

Do NOT do your PPL in the autumn, best time April/May, same with regards to starting your CPL.

Do PPL one year, hour building and ATPL theory.
Then 1 or 2 years after do your CPL, wait with the ME until you have the money ready for ME, so you do those both at similar time.
You do not want to get delayed because of bad weather, because that will cost you much money.

CPL is done in 4 - 5 weeks, ME in 1 week, IR is around 2 - 4 months.
ATPL's takes longest time, 6 - 15 months, depending how you do it.

You can work during your PPL, hour building and your ATPL theory, and save money.
Rough figure £50.000, but can be done for less.
Split them up in parts, make sure you have £15.000 when you start your IR, you do NOT want to screw up your IR time and training, because it is £375 an hour in the aircraft.

It can be done for less, you will see as you go along if you stay within or outside budget. Hour building can be done cheap in the UK, you fly C152 around £80 an hour. You work at same time, to avoid any loss of your savings.

CPL/ME/IR can be done for £21.000 + exam fees, ATPL for £3000. So that makes it £24.000 + extra fees another £3.000 - £4.000.

PPL I don't know to much about, but 100 hours PIC in C152 will cost you around £8.000.
Here is a copy of another post I have made. They are slightly high prices, taking into some extra as contingency.

Do it all in 2 or 3 steps, and you will be fine.

It took me exactly on the date 2 years from I passed my PPL until I got my IR. And I think it is not easy to do it much faster than that.

Add the numbers together:
PPL : £7000
Hours: £9000
ATPL: £3500 (books and exam fees in addition to the course)
CPL: £7500
ME: £3000
IR: £15000
MCC: £2500

If you do distance learning on your ATPL's I think you have to calculate at least 12 months to complete the ATPL's, I know guys and they struggled to do distance learning less then 12 months, it is possible, but not easy.
The way I see it, you will probably spend 9 months to do your PPL and hour building, the rest of the flight training probably within maximum 5 months. So you have the rest of time used for ATPL's.