PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed Wing to Rotary
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2011, 01:32
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helicopters have a habit of biting you with the bug, real hard. After I'd done my PPL A, I got hooked so badly on helicopters I didn't ever want to fly fixed wing again. In fact, I let my PPL A lapse for that very reason - FW just didn't have the allure. Eventually an engine failure (and money) ended my training in H's and I never did do the skills test, even though I was close. And I've since rediscovered the joys of FW and the travel possibilities that it offers, something you can't do in helicopters.

I flew the H300 and like DAR said, they're really nice flying machines. Slow, a little bit dated, but very benign and built sturdy. They have a very forgiving skid that will absorb most abuse. And a gentle autorotation with plenty of rotor inertia compared to the R22. They also have the stick where it belongs - between your legs

Today my finances are better and I'm older and I will probably finish my PPL H after I've done my instrument at some point. I did go up for 2 hrs a couple of months ago and had a great time. Challenging hard work after nearly 16 years, but I could still hover!