PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Suggestions for a day or two in Florida
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2011, 18:35
SunnyDayInWiltshire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for a day or two in Florida

I've just found out I'll be making a short business trip to Miami (technical work rather than drug running you'll be glad to hear). I have the option to go out a day or two early, and thought it might be an ideal opportunity to have a short taster of what GA in Florida has to offer.

The trip is 6 weeks away. I'm a fairly new PPL, ~80 hours, mostly PA28, and really just looking to understand the differences in procedures and the benefits of the way GA operates there. It would also help me determine what a future flying holiday there might entail.

I wasn't expecting to try and convert my UK licence into an FAA one - I've heard this can be done quicker than the 3 month max time ( but no guarantees), so would expect to be flying with an instructor.

Although my business trip is to Miami, I could be based in Orlando for the extra day(s).

Can anyone advise on where I should look to hire from, what I should aim to include in the flights and any other tips? I'm assuming that I can just do this with the standard Visa waiver - I'm not going to be logging time as PIC or gaining any specific training qualification or rating. I could argue it's all sightseeing, but must be very clear that I can't break the rules.

I've been to Florida 3 times before (holiday and business), and to the US on many business trips, but never had any GA activities there.

Any insights appreciated

SD