PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quarter of RAF trainee pilots to be sacked
Old 8th Apr 2011, 15:24
26er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NutherA2

29th June 1956 I had my one and only trip in a Seahawk. I was stationed at Tangmere. By this time we had all converted to the Hunter F5 but there were still some Meteors left. Being owed a favour by Lt Cdr Bloggs, having given him an IRT and passed him so he could go to the Air Warfare College (the Navy needed five hours actual in the last six months whereas the RAF accepted two hours actual and eight simulated) I took a Meteor for the short trip to Ford where I was met, taken to their coffee bar, handed a mug and the Pilot's Notes for the Seahawk. I had reached the first page where it said "the the Seahawk is a single seat naval fighter" when I was told that the aircraft was ready. On explaining that I 'd not read the PNs they said "you've flown Meteors, Vampires and Hunters so no sweat. Just make sure the wings are locked". Somebody had the decency to lean over my shoulder to make quite sure and off I went for an hour. When I landed I was offered a trip in a Wyvern which co-incided with the arrival of an ashen faced aviator saying that his had caught fire downwind. As they say in the News of the World, I made my excuses and left ! Shortly after that we Quickfired off to Cyprus for a week which became months, returning just before Christmas. That put paid to my hopes of further FAA aircraft flying.

Things were simple in those days. There were numerous chaps in 2TAF who, when squadrons exchanged for a week or so, were able to have a trip in the other's aircraft but no doubt they had a proper briefing. A ride in a RCAF Sabre for a ride in a Hunter.