PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Qantas to cut flights and jobs"
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2011, 21:58
breakfastburrito

Location: On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone is zero
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fruet Mich
Bruce Buchanan has also been blabbing away to tech crew on a recent jump seat ride explaining that Qantas long haul was unsustainable and will be gone in a few years.
Interesting comment there Fuet mich, if correct.

Originally Posted by breakfastburrito
It would appear that the entire IR strategy has been about building a parallel offshore airline based around the B787. Once deliveries of the B787 were proceeding at a good pace, mainline would be put to the sword, goodnight & farewell.
breakfastburrito 29 March 2011

Originally Posted by breakfastburrito
teresa & Ndicho, implicit in your comments is a single assumption so fundamental, so basic that is is easily overlooked - that the board & senior management wants a Qantas to survive in its present form. Test this assumption & review the last 10 years, what conclusions to do you come to?

Random thoughts that spring to mind: APA, takeover, low share price, Qantas Sale act.

I could be very wrong, but I believe it is important to test every assumption carefully, and think outside the box.
Breakfastburrito 5 April 2011

It is not sustainable because senior management don't want it to be sustainable. This is an entirely management driven agenda. The play here is to get as many non "polluted" pilots in the door of j*, put mainline to death, then if forced by the IR laws (and a significant time delay, court cases, FWA etc) offer positions to the now out of work pilots - knowing full well that the vast majority are not going to want to start at the bottom of the seniority list as a junior FO. Further, these pilots can expect to be victimised through basings & denial of promotion.

There is a high degree of vindictiveness, spite & maliciousness in this deliberate process. As a j* pilot I would note this carefully, as it will be your future too.

There is nothing here I see to change my working hypothesis that Qantas is being destroyed to justify its destruction. Counter arguments please.