PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Thomas Cook Thread
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2011, 19:37
canadave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

My wife and I booked economy tix to go from Canada (Halifax) to Gatwick, departing May 19 and returning June 2. Recently we thought we might want to consider upgrading out of economy class.

My question is a little complicated I guess. We booked our original tix online with Air Transat (airtransat.ca). However, I see now on their website that the flights are operated codeshared with Thomas Cook--it's a TCX aircraft as far as I'm aware.

Now, I also have heard that due to the APD tax, TCX is phasing out Premium seats--from what I've read, they offer an upgrade for £50 on flights TO the UK, but not from? So we'd only be able to purchase those seats from Halifax to Gatwick, not on the return to Halifax?

But then again I also saw that TCX is removing those Premium seats "in May 2011".

Now I see a bunch of posts talking about Canadian Affair and TCX operating flights for them. In experimentally "booking" the same flights I've already bought through Air Transat (without paying at the end of course), it seems to me that they're the exact same actual flights as are offered by Air Transat. So I'm guessing that Air Transat AND Canadian Affair are selling seats on the same actual aircraft that TCX is flying?

It's all very confusing. All I want to know is--is it possible to buy a Premium seat on the flight I'm on, and who do I call about that? I called Air Transat three weeks ago to inquire (before I found out about the whole "Premium cabin going away on TCX" issue), and they quoted me $150 CAD, per person, each way, to upgrade my ticket. That is about $50 more than £50 would be. So I don't know if Air Transat is trying to gouge me, or whether I can call Thomas Cook instead, or what??