PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another fine (DHE) mess........
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2002, 10:08
brit bus driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I stay here please?!

Well, was actually starting to look forward to heading back to blighty, but now........Thing is, in the (much smaller), former colonial air force whose company I am presently enjoying, they may not have a lot of modern kit, but they do try to look after their people.

Example: when a chap is posted to a new unit, he is entitled to a "house hunting trip". This, I believe, is usuallly a week, but often up to 2. But not just the chap mind; if he's married, the wife can come too, and if they have kids, why not bring them along to check out the local area. But what to do with the kids whilst out looking for the new house? No problem old chap, hire a childminder, we'll pay. Oh, and you and yours can stay in a hotel (but let's make it reasonably priced) and we'll put you on allowances while you're their, pay your mileage or, due to the large distances involved, fly you there and pay for car hire. When you finally get posted, take a few days in a local hotel, just to get yourself sorted but, if your new house isn't quite ready, no worries. Have up to 3 weeks as a norm, and make a case if you need longer; we'll understand.

I'm coming home from 3 years overseas and have the prospect of moving into a MQ at the nation's premier AT base to a house where I know the carpets need replacing throughout (coz the last tenant told me!). To be fair, DHE at Brize told me too, but they can't have them replaced. Of course, I'll have to take their word for it that everything else is tickety-boo. Guess I'll find out at the March-In, when it's too late. "Erm, this doesn't appear to be quite up to standard - any chance of a few days in a hotel while you get it sorted?" HAH!! Plus, I'll be entitled to the Oxford Tube from LHR to Oxford, and then the local bus to Carterton, via Witney no doubt. Should be fun lugging about 100lbs of baggage around on that journey.

Yoou know what, 18 grand after tax may just not cut it for another 5 years.