PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CX Sponsoring Illegal Pilots
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2011, 15:48
GTC58

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airplaneridesfun

Just an educated guess, as CX was not hiring too many Americans until 8-9 years ago.

you said
If you are telling me that those pilots violating immigration law throughout the system have done so without understanding the consequences, then I would respond to you that they should have read their contract and the basings agreement before bidding on a base.
My Basings agreement says the following:

16.5 Based Officers will be responsible for ensuring that they comply with any immigration and/or visa requirements of the relevant authorities in the Officers choice of residence although the Company will render Officers reasonable assistance wherever possible.
Doesn't say anything about my base.

Anyways, your interpretation of the law is incorrect at least according to DL and CXs immigration lawyers. Presently it is absolutely legal to commute for Canadians to the US, employed by a foreign company, operating foreign aircraft. However, when a visa application will be made (like CX is doing now) and the INS would deny issuing a visa then it becomes for the Canadian individual illegal to be based in the US.

I don't understand where this sudden anger is coming from. Most of the Canadians are on their US bases for many years. Nothing will change with the visa application as these are for Canadians already on a US base.
The Americans working for the onshored CX Canada are actually illegals plus seem to be on the bottom of the seniority list and I recommend you try to write your posts not so confrontational as I can see some of my Canadian co-workers getting pi$$ed off and tipping off the Canadian authorities. That wouldn't be nice as we are all seem to get along on the line and in the bar without having any issues.

On a side note these Visa's are for Canadian nationals only, if you have another nationality you are out of luck.

Last edited by GTC58; 6th Apr 2011 at 16:51.