PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southwest FLT 812 Decompression and diversion
Old 4th Apr 2011, 22:20
TabsAZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Olasek...

"I found discussion on another forum in relation to this accident that allegedly Southwest ask their pilots to do firm landings (hard landings?). I am not going to repeat the whole line of argument how this claim might relate to this accident but I would like to verify if there is any truth in it in case there are some SWA pilots around here."

Having flown the 737 since 1990 and for nearly 10 years now at Southwest, I can assure you that I have never seen or heard of any recommendation to perform a "firm" or "hard" landing. What is in our Flight Operation Manual is common language regarding putting the aircraft in the touchdown zone and words to the effect of "do not hold the aircraft off the runway in an attempt to make a smooth landing." I think we can pretty much rule out hard landings as the cause of the skin tear.
As the moderator of the forum you saw that on (which is an FSX simming forum), I'm actually dumbfounded that it's getting posted here on a real aviation forum. The guy saying those things is obviously wrong and we all told him that in the thread. Seriously though, no one here should be looking to MSFS forums for information on a real life accident, sheesh.

Ryan