PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 3rd Apr 2011, 12:47
MissM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellow Pen

I said it could be a result because we don't have a bidding system but it's not the sole reason. There are many other reasons to your claim that we have the worst sickness record in the company.

HiFlyer14

You claim that Mixed Fleet is a result of BASSA's inability to negotiate. I claim that either way BA would have gone forward with it. Why else would they have planned it over so many years, causing a great worry for the cabin crew community and coincidentally left a piece of paper for everyone to see?

What have I personally lost? Money of course but it could also be thought of as an investment as I, and many others, are fighting for our futures. I couldn't care less about staff travel as I never use it. I used to commute a couple of years ago but I still would have gone on strike. I think you will be surprised to see the numbers of commuters at BFC. I have been on a 75% part-time contract for almost ten years. 50% or 33% would be nice but I can wait a few years as it's not really an issue to me. However, many crew are on a full-time contract and wanting to be part-time. The list should be cleared accordingly. As for Mixed Fleet, it would have been created sooner or later. See my point above about BA having planned it for many years.

We are here today because cabin crew, voting for a strike, crossed the picket line (most likely relying on other to strike on their behalf) and VCC who chose to prolong our dispute by filling our positions when they really should have minded their own business.

Why am I still remaining as a member with the union? Because BA would be a horrible place to work for without union representation. The union is not by all means flawless. They have made many mistakes in the past. But, they have also negotiated some of the best terms and conditions in the country. Terms and conditions which you, and everyone else who crossed the picket line, are enjoying.

Chigley

I remember '97 very well as I'm on the old-contract and heard all those different stories back then. Dit any of it happen? No, but the difference is back in those days the new contract tier was integrated with existing fleets and was not a threat. We are now facing a separate fleet. Look at Qantas and what they are facing. The cabin crew are doing a turnaround between LAX and JFK as opposed to a nightstop previously. If they were to demand a nightstop again, Qantas would move it over to Jetstar. All said by a QF crew member.

BA offered, as some of you claim, Mixed Fleet to be integrated with EF and WW fleets. Why are they now against the idea? Surely it could be manageable? We have temporary contracts, on hourly pay, working with us and it seems to be working.

Why should I look for employment elsewhere because WW and KW have all of the sudden decided that we are too expensive for BA? I, and many others, had been with BA a long time before they joined the airline, especially WW. We would also want to be here when they are long gone as we have created ourselves a career with the company. As painful as it seems for some to accept that cabin crew can be a career, and not something you would do for a gap year, it's how we feel and think of our job.

fly12345

Excuses? Not really.