PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 3rd Apr 2011, 09:52
HiFlyer14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The company won't be able to move forward fully until they have solved the dispute with us. BA are saying that they are willing to talk at any time. Unite is saying the same yet nothing is progressing. We want a fair deal and protection against Mixed Fleet. Why is that difficult to understand?
Miss M

The company won't be able to move forward? Have you been off for the last year, or have you simply not read ESS? If so, then please let me enlighten you:

Mixed Fleet - up and running since Nov 10 - new routes transferring monthly
Employee Forums - up and running for several months. Groups of selected CABIN CREW giving input on various issues - product, service, etc.
Employee Briefings - ie. EF CSD/PSR - to check what cabin crew want, and now they are bringing changes to the EF CSD/PSR job spec. as a direct result of what crew want
Uniform Standards - CTMs now wearing uniform to drive forward a positive change in this area
VCCs - now an established team. Can and will be used whenever required, including strikes.
New Customer Service Drive - with new Manager in place, driving forward change.

The company have not moved forward as fast as this in years. While the cat's away....

What you don't seem to realise, is this way of working works well, and those of us who had the good sense to leave the Union, are enjoying a new, refreshing sense of freedom to do our jobs and serve customers in the way we and BA want to. We no longer have the restrictions (and quite frankly bullying tactics) of BASSA telling us not to hand out hot towels, close window blinds, etc. I think it unlikely that the 50% of crew who didn't vote for a strike, would want to return to the old ways, nor do I think BA would want to either.

You don't have a majority hold over us now - it's 50-50. And that makes your entrenched position all the more unsustainable.

We want a fair deal and protection against Mixed Fleet. Why is that difficult to understand?
Sorry but you take my breath away with statements like this.

Mixed Fleet is the result of BASSA's inability to negotiate. BASSA were given a blank piece of paper to come up with £127M of savings in 2009. They could, and should, have represented the members by asking for our input on how we thought savings could be achieved. There are a miriad of different ways we could have saved money - but instead BASSA said NO.

As you well know, MF was not on the table at one point. It could have been incorporated as New Entrant contracts, but BASSA did not represent their members, they didn't even ask us what we wanted them to do. They acted autonomously and they acted stupidly. Now we are all paying the price for their childish tantrums and we have Mixed Fleet and VCCs as a direct result of what they did.

A "fair deal and protection" was also offered in the Monthly Travel Payment. Since then we have had Ash Cloud, Snow disruption, earthquakes, political unrest across the ME and Africa, and the MTP would have stood us in good stead now. BASSA rejected it, and it has now left us high and dry.

Why is THAT so difficult to understand?

This is my own viewpoint and not that of BA.

Last edited by HiFlyer14; 3rd Apr 2011 at 10:05.