PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it worth renewing?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2011, 10:54
jimmyjetplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i/r renewal or not?

Hi,

My advice is don't renew it unless you have a response from an employer,with a potential interview on the horizon.I skipped the first year after my initial i/r.I Renewed the 3rd year as the jobs market seemed to be improving.A further 4 renewals after that with no job!

You can usually do the revalidation at fairly short notice with the major flying schools.You would be very unlucky to have such short notice from an Airline that you wouldn't have the time to book in and renew somewhere!

I would recommend you do this in the simulator to save money.It is just a tick in the box and the Airlines don't really care so long as it is current!

In my experience they don't even ask either!No medals are given for shelling out more money just to do it in the Aircraft either!Personally I think,considering the cost, I bet most people have no intention of flying a light piston twin again after passing the initial I/R?!

I would recommend Multi Flight at Leeds (and now Blackpool).I have revalidated my I/R 5 times there now.Very friendly,helpfull etc; And a very fair examiner too!

One day you and most Pilots who go to the Airlines will come to realise that there is very little relevance between flying a light piston twin and a 65 ton Jet.I am sure someone will disagree but they will probably be a proud multi I/R Istructor or from a G/A background and who havn't been exposed to the Airline Jet world!

The initial I/R is a huge achievment but for most it's just a major step towards something more difficult....flying a BIG passenger carrying Aircraft!

No disrespect to those who won't agree,but it just is a million miles away from Airline flying!(Just my own opinion based on my own experiences).Sometimes for many,ignorance is bliss!

After a couple of revalidations you will see what I mean about the 'tick in the box' and come to wonder why you found the I/R so difficult in the first place!

Anyway,good luck with the job hunting!!