PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southwest FLT 812 Decompression and diversion
Old 2nd Apr 2011, 07:23
sprocky_ger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BrissySparkyCoit

1. I could not find any evidence for this happening outside US. I remember the famous happening with Aloha 1988. There were several accidents following decompression but they were attributed to other causes (cargo door failures: DC-10; design failure: Comet).

2. Did not want to start a fight Airbus vs. Boeing. Just wanted to know if this has happened to an Airbus before. I could not find evidence for this. Sure, Airbus is a much younger company with less sales in total. But in about 30 years there should be some aircraft 15 years old with about the same amount of cycles. Or do airlines trash Airbus aircraft after 10 years. I doubt that.

3. Please explain your statement. If this is something serious I'd definetely have a look at this. Or is it all about saving money? Squeeze the valets of pax as much as you can but don't care about their lives?

I am no expert. I only want to understand a bit more. The only major knowledge in aviation is related to the PA200 I was working on for 3.5 years. At that time there was still something installed called the "fatique counter". If there was anything suspicious the a/c was taken out of service for further investigation. Also the a/c fuselage, wings and tailerons were inspected after a certain amount of cycles. During those inspections the a/c was almost taken apart completely. I remember having seen a show on TV that this is also done on civil aircraft.