PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA recruiting now for service pilots only.
Old 2nd Apr 2011, 05:04
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
This isn't new. 'Managed Path' is the child of another scheme set up in the late 1990s which was called RAFCARS (the RAF Civil Airline Recruitment Scheme) which was actulally set up by the RAF itself and was designed to seamlessly transfer pilots who has completed their RAF engagements directly into airlines participating in the scheme. The benefit to the RAF was that pilots would complete their full contracts and not be tempted to leave early safe in the knowledge thay have a job lined up. The benefit to the airline was that they could cherry pick some quality candidates. There were about six or seven ailines in the scheme including BA, Air 2000 (at the time) and Monarch. the scheme was set up with BALPAs approval - and although BALPA can't represent RAF pilots, many were members.

But it didn't necessarily give the pilots an easier time. The airlines had access to information that would not be available for other candidates. I joined the scheme when it started and I was suprised at how involved the application form was. Far more information that required of a normal application and I had to write down my Commanding Officer's assessment of my ability for each tour of duty. Far more information on my ability as a pilot was available to the particpating airlines than with any regular applicant for employment.

I'm not sure how many people got jobs through RAFCARS. I only know of three - including the chap at the Personnel Admin centre who set it up! I didn't as my main target for employment wasn't part of the scheme. It seems that BA have resurrected it. It makes recruitment easier for them as they know exactly what they are getting and a lot of their selection process has already been done for them by the military.

Is it fair? Depends on your point of view. But most things in life aren't, particularly so in this industry.