PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 4
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 4
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2011, 02:04
rodchester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the point here is being missed about the co/ua merger. this will form a new airline that will be twice the size of the the old co/ua. The board members from what i have read will be both made up of co/ua members, with the new CEO being from continental airlines. Being based in chicago as opposed to texas does not mean anything. Its going to be a new company with new agenda. It depends what that the agenda is. One thing is certian, it has to be somthing that both airlines agree on. As for small regional routes there survival will depend on if they are profitable operations, not if it is Gla Bhx Man etc. No airline unless there is another reason will axe a profitable route. So, as far CO/UA and bhx is concerned i can only conclude that this route must be profitable since its being going for almost 14 years now and still going with a reduced service in the winter. This is not bad since these are the toughest economic times in aviation history. Also given Bhx closeness to Heathrow the service to newark as held up well. As for reduced services, this will be at all airports in the uk this winter Man Gla Edi. When all is said and done anything can happen and nothing is set in concrete.
Just another interesting point, if the new merger airline Co/UA were planning to gid rid of regional operations, why is it then that a new route by CO/UA is being launch to the German city of Stuggart to Newark this spring, which happens to be regional airport about the same size as BHX. This would defeat the purpose!!