PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK ATC Staffing Levels
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2002, 09:51
fourthreethree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Vent
In Maastricht we have indeed stopped taking on conversion trainees. This however is not linked to a high failure rate. I am not linked to management, nor am I party to their decisions, so what I say is only opinion and speculation, but offhand I can only think of a handful of conversions who have failed (or who have left, unhappy with life in Maastricht). I would say that a few years ago we were also vastly understaffed and used the conversion course idea alongside the usual ab initio training to get a quick burst of controllers into the ops room. This done, we now have (I believe) better staffing levels, so conversions are no longer needed.

TAKE THE HINT, NATS MANAGEMENT!!!!!

I have only skipped through this thread, but it just amazes me, with the trouble you guys are in at Swanwick (no offence, but it seems clear) that when I called your head of recruitment she told me I would have to apply through the normal channels for ab initio training,(I have been established here in Maastricht for over 5 years) then, assuming I passed the tests/interview etc I would have to follow the full ab initio course on ab initio pay.

I know of at least 2 other Maastricht controllers who would get back to the uk given the chance, but your guys and gals in the offices are not only effectively blocking us but also keeping your staffing levels down.