PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Qantas to cut flights and jobs"
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2011, 19:14
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Teresa Green:

Stubby Jumbo, if you look at the records, QF like lemmings over a cliff, go thru this mad crazy sacking people, especially people who are experienced every couple of years. THEN they rehire people who know bugger all. This is a ongoing problem, that has been going on for the last 12 years or so. Why????? who knows. Qantas really flies in spite of itself, due to its amazing, weary, frustrated, long suffering staff. And then they sack them. They need to send a army of psychologists into this mob to find out what makes them tick and why they do what they do
I thought you understood.......

When an inexperienced manager asks an experienced person to do the impossible, and the experienced person refuses and explains why the course of action is stupid, the inexperienced manager feels both threatened and thwarted.

The obvious solution is to sack the experienced person and hire an inexperienced worker who does not know enough to object when asked to do the impossible.

Happens all the time.

I was once hired into a $140,000 Group General Managers job in an IT company specifically because I had NO I.T. experience!

The Board of the company didn't want to hire someone "contaminated" by exposure to traditional ways of doing things in that industry, they wanted to try something new that professionals had told them wouldn't ever work.

I spent Eighteen months proving that the professionals were right and the Board was wrong before I realised my mistake and left....