PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - J* have a ways to go understanding fatigue
Old 31st Mar 2011, 11:10
havick

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
nope.. I don't know the airline roster at all (cut me down at the knees right here and now)... But is it that difficult to get adequate rest prior to signing on (given that you know your roster in advance)? Extending a promulgated roster clearly a different kettle of fish..

Like I said, I don't condone dodgy practices. But there's plenty of other operators out there flying BOC operations, at short notice and far more complex missions. They seem to prepare themselves adequately for the tasking without too much trouble, if fatigue starts coming an issue then there is adequate protocols in place to knock back a job (have your sleep diary in hand), if the whole of the pilot group is too scared to act within the bounds of your FRMS then you're obviously rolling over (putting your own lives and pax lives at risk).

Just some food for thought..

** Key point being, have a sleep diary. Most FRMS's reference a sleep diary, it's up to the you to understand your own limitations and ensure that you are adequately rested for your shifts. If it all turns to poo, you have your trusted sleep diary in hand to back up your decisions. what do you think the ATSB will ask to see if the 'touch wood' horror situation occurs.

Last edited by havick; 31st Mar 2011 at 11:21.