PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 31st Mar 2011, 10:57
pug

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts
Clanger32, or anyone else, as a matter of interest how do the modular courses at OAA CTC etc compare with intergrated? I have read on here over the years that intergrated get 'preferential treatment'?

I have a friend who went through OAA intergrated a few years ago, now at FR. He is happy, but then its what he has always wanted to do hence us being friends for so many years, because of shared interest. I must say its difficult to hold back seeing other people enjoying what I have also wanted to do for as long as I can remember, but I have to be sensible and seeing how much debt he left with, and knowing that (according to him) less than half of his course have found paid flying gigs, it just does not seem like a viable path to go down now.

I am very close to the end of a (long protracted) PPL, the dilemma I face is do I forget about commercial flight training and try to forge out a career in something else (being 28 now), or do I keep on aiming too high for myself? I dont expect anyone to answer that, it is a rhetorical question, but Im sure there are others on here in the same position. Clearly I will continue to fly for fun, (its a great thing to have on the CV too!), and the fun of it is why I started in the first place, plus the great people you meet involved in aviation. I just cant help thinking that spending any money, be it modular or intergrated, is the equivalent of piling it all in the garden and setting fire to it.

How I long for the days where you had to work your way up through instructing/general GA jobs, and only those few good enough to get on the mentored (sponsored) schemes got straight into the RHS of a jet...

Sorry for the ramble, I dont tend to post on these threads but I have been keeping an eye on them on a daily basis, for years, and I must thank all of the regulars (WWW, Bealzibub et al) for their rather excellent insight into the industry that you would not necessarily get elsewhere.

Last edited by pug; 31st Mar 2011 at 11:07.