PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - J* have a ways to go understanding fatigue
Old 31st Mar 2011, 07:01
Mr Seatback 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I left Jetstar a few years ago, having started with them at Qantaslink, and surviving the dreadful 'evolution' into Jetstar. I was Cabin Crew, and I saw the beginning of the end for me a couple of years before my actual departure.

The attitude from the top down is 'get over yourselves, deal with it' and my personal favourite, 'if you don't like it, leave'. Whether it's fatigue, or common-sense safety in practice...it didn't matter. Any solution that was seen to either cost money, or even engage the workforce, didn't register.

Fast forward a few years, I'm with a different carrier, and studying my Masters, majoring in human factors. With the benefit of study, different perspectives since leaving JQ and my own experiences, I am, for want of a better word, gobsmacked that any pilot can in all conscience can mitigate fatigue as being a non-issue.

For years now, the RTA/TAC and relevant bodies have been enforcing the need for drivers of cars to not drive while tired - yet, apparently, 'princesses' in charge of multi-million dollar aircraft, with 100's of souls on board at a speed of 800km p/h, are the issue in this case, not anything to do with unsound rostering, shortages, and lack of resources at JQ, which for the record were the same issues that existed years ago when I left.

I gravely fear that it's going to take something catastrophic for anyone with any considerable power to force both our Government, and this country, to recognise that our air system is being saved by good fortune, and little else. The sad fact of our so-called 'perfectly safe' aviation system is that it's created generational complacency - especially in the public's mind - towards issues that can have serious consequences in undermining that safety. Joe Public probably doesn't give two hoots if pilots carried on about fatigue. He might, however, have a different perspective if a loved one of his was involved in a fatal accident.

The public's attitudes operate largely on hindsight and experiences. I'd hope that as far as this inquiry is concerned, we can stop the rot before something more serious has to yield change.