PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 27th Mar 2011, 23:40
Jugs08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Clanger makes a very good point. I personall like the whole idea of modular because of the reduced risk for various reasons however. I had a full time job and it took me a year to get a PPL flying at weekends with already 11 hours. I've also incured remedial training due to this again increasing the cost.

Modular Figures:
The figures I Worked off were:
PPL + night 8k
ATPL Exams (Bristol GS) £3000
Hour Building £7000 SFC
CPL/IR/ME £20k SFC
MCC 2k SFC
Living Fees including Petrol Medical Landing Fees 15k

vs

Integrated
Oxford 76k
CTC 70K
PTC 72k

Around 40k however the cost of living including driving to the FTO Landing fees soon adds up. So I'd say a realistic Modular all UK is around 55k including everything.

But obviously if you were to go CTC or Oxford them it will be alot more.
Personally I feel that if yo do train all at one place in a continous way you will be better than the Modular Pilot who takes 2-3 years. Also with Integrated you can immense yourself into purly Flying without the worry of other things going on in life.

And that through integrated you will be more likely to get a Job due to the training you have received not by the company it was with.

You are only as good as your training. Thats why RAF pilots are the best. So are you going to receive the best training for the cheapest price. Hmm im not sure in the same way the best Pay in any job is with those more capable either by experience or natural ability or both.

I think the notion of walking from Flight Training into a Job is quite unlikily at the moment. But if anyone has read Airliner World recently you would know that growth figures all over the shot. There will always be new jobs somewhere. However; lets not forget its a top profession and is very competitive.

Forcast
Its forcast that Europe is going to need 3,600 new Pilots annually.
World over 20,000 Per Annun.

What about the actors that go to Hollywood and make their dream happen or the people that start their own empires. It has to happen to someone. Maybe it won't be you. But a key trait in anyone successful is perserverance and activity to make it happy. All I know is that life is not a rhersal. If you want to do something enough then do it; because 70k debt isn't the best way to start your woking life; but if it's going to give you happy career then why not?

If you don't try then your not gonna know.