PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qf LAME EBA Negotiations Begin
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2011, 19:24
Gas Bags

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where’s the Qantas offer?
Many of you have told me that you’re waiting for us to put an offer on the table and I can tell you that this is imminent. It might seem like it’s been a long time coming, but let’s look at the negotiations so far. In October 2010, the ALAEA presented an extensive and complex verbal claim of 28 individual items. We respected that and in good faith have been working to evaluate and cost every single item. Now, these weren’t simple items either, some of them were extremely complex and on top there’s a wage claim proposing a new pay structure.

To say that we’ve been sitting still is simply untrue. In order to bargain in good faith, we have to evaluate every claim in detail before we can respond to it. We need to run it by legal and finance for approval and of course get ExCo’s sign off. That all takes time and with such an extensive and complex claim you can see why it’s been a few months.

I’m not just saying this for effect, the ALAEA’s claim really is extreme. We simply can’t afford to give everything they’ve asked for. However, we’ve made some progress as you’ll see in the attached document. Keep in mind too that the unions have rejected the majority of our claims without discussion.

Our finance people are meeting with the Union on Tuesday to discuss our costings of their proposed pay structure.

We’re at a crossroads here guys, and I’m asking you to choose your path very carefully. I don’t want to go through a dispute and a number of you have told me you don’t either. The choice you make now is critical to our future success and to our survival. Please consider your options carefully. I promise you that we will do the same.

How many of the extensive, complex, 28 verbalised claims that has taken 6 months to evaluate in order for them to negotiate in good faith have been referred to in the offer put forward?

You have Chris's promise, in writing, that the company has carefully considered their options before putting this offer on the table.

GB