PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oi mods ! READ THIS
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2011, 12:30
Wholigan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So is it possible to allocate mods to certain forums so we know who to go to?

What I'm saying really is, if you're now going to mod Mil Aircrew rather than let us self mod, then commit to it and let us know.
I have posted the following information a few times in here already, but it does no harm to repeat it especially for those who may have missed it for whatever reason.

The Mil Forum has always been very good at self-moderating but, like the rest of life, it is never perfect.

Whatever anyone may think, the Mil Forum has ALWAYS been moderated, even if there was originally no formal mod notified. Some time ago, it was decided that I would be the public face of moderating in this forum, and my name was put in the "Moderators" box in the bottom right hand corner of the page. So - for whatever reason - I have become the "front man" in here. The one who will take the majority of the flak from the punters because I am in the limelight. I am old enough and have broad enough shoulders and a thick enough skin to be able to take it and not end up sitting in the corner chewing my hankie and crying.

However, I am NOT the ONLY moderator in here, although I do spend a lot of time checking the forum every day (ENFORCED retirement has some advantages). PPRuNe Pop is another who spends a lot of time reading this forum and acting as necessary. In addition, there are others (from both sides of the pond) who moderate in here pretty frequently, as well as the two senior hierarchy members of PPRuNe who look in occasionally and do what they consider necessary. Actions thus taken by these people are - therefore, of necessity - varying in the manner in which matters are dealt with. As a matter of common courtesy, none of the people that moderate this forum would publicly disagree with the actions or style of the others. However, we do frequently discuss things and if the general feeling is that an error may have been made, the action in question will be reversed.

As has been stated in here, everyone sees things differently and so it is that all moderators in here may act in slightly different ways, but they will always act in the best interests of PPRuNe, not necessarily in the best interests of the punters. Quite frequently - of course - these two requirements overlap and everybody is happy.

As far as I know, the vast majority of those who moderate this forum have some form of military background and experience. For me 46 years of non-stop service, the last 9 years of which were full time reserve.

You may not see it because the posts that have been removed are not visible to you, but "trimming posts rather than snipping entire threads" is something that we spend a lot of time doing.

As far as the -

then commit to it and let us know.
- part of your sentence is concerned, I admit to being somewhat insulted by this. I do not think you will find anyone more committed to what I do, even if some people don't always like exactly what I do.

Personally, I try to call on things that I have seen or done in my past RAF career and in my private life to decide if posts are good, bad or indifferent, and tend only to remove stuff that is really stupid, insulting, attacking of others, or could possibly damage PPRuNe. The prime role of moderators is to defend PPRuNe from people who wittingly or unwittingly post stuff that could reduce the reputation of the board or bring it into conflict with the legal world. I try to use common sense to achieve these aims.

I realise that I will not always get it right and I don't believe that you should expect me to. I do expect a bit of common courtesy though if you disagree with what I do, and - if you are unhappy - PM me and, as you have seen before, I am always open to suggestions and I am not above admitting that I got it wrong.

Furthermore, I have never "hidden" my identity since the day I first joined PPRuNe, as a very large number of people know who "Wholigan" is for real.

So basically I will try my best to get it right and if you have a problem with what I do, PM me. People do that and I'm happy to respond.