PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 8
Thread: Ryanair - 8
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2011, 10:25
jpthomas72

HHN and local elections

At Hahn they also carry out weight checks.
Oh, you mean those people at the gate who remind you of a certain historic organisation based in Berlin-Magdalenenstrasse ? This has become one of the most annoying features of HHN recently. I wonder if this is really due to Ryanair, or due to the financial troubles of HHN and its desparation to make money. Another indicator: They've cut free parking at drop-off to 10min. Over-run that, and you pay 2.50 Euro.
Speaking of HHN: People outside of the area might not be aware that it produces serious losses, 2010 it lost 10.8 million Euros, much the same previously. Those losses are paid for by the local government of the state of Rheinland-Pfalz, who own the vast majority of the airport holding company (after Fraport abandonned HHN). And exactly that government is being re-elected this Sunday. With a strong possibility of the Green party entering this government, and they are much less enthusiastic to balance those millions. We'll see. HHN is above a critical mass to just cut it, but the situation isn't that much different from Altenburg-Nobitz. Losing SXF was a big blow for HHN, these were by far the most useful flights for the locals in the area (it's as far by air as London). The pro-HHN argument is normally the inbound tourism, but looking at the route-map: How many Italians and Spanish spend their holidays at the Mosel valley. While UK destinations were cut, and the Brits are still coming now by car and coach.
So, when I fly from HHN, my family will balance my cheap ticket with their taxes, meaning less money i.e. for school renovations and road repairs. This is not the case when I fly from FRA or DUS which are profitable.