PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skywest out, Skippers in.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2011, 13:39
Saintly

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
I guess also I have been used to flying with Skywest from Perth to Carnarvon and back - been doing it since 1995. I was on the last Skywest flight from Carnarvon to Perth on 28th Feb.

How lucky was I - I've heard stories of passengers flying on final flights to destinations and I didn't think it would happen to me - but it did.

One passenger was upset - I was in a way too (but I wasn't crying like she was) - Skywest were good to me - I never had any problems with them - except when they were late. Also, the Fokker 50 was my and still is my favourite turboprop aircraft. I kinda grew up on the F50 when I used to fly to Carnarvon and back for holidays. It's hard to explain - I guess you just get attatched to certain aircraft - especially when you have been flying on it for a long time.

Skywest improved heaps after Ansett went under - epecially with them arriving on time. They have gone from strength to strength.

In terms of Carnarvon airport - the good thing that came out of all this was that the staff were all moved on to work for Skippers. I know the lady who runs the airport - she has got the Skippers contract - similiar to Skywest. Always gives me a window seat too which is good and never has to ask for my I.D when I check in cos she knows me. She has been there for 28 years - when Ansett (when the noisy F28 and quiet BAe 146) and then Skywest used to fly to Carnarvon, some of you people may know who I'm talking about. I find the country staff at regional airports are not as uptight - they are more relaxed and you can have a chat with them as I do.

Ah well - let's see how Skippers go. I wonder if they can do the same or a better job as Skywest did.

It will be interesting to see after the 5 years wheather Skippers keep the contract or Skywest return. Maybe Skywest won't be interested in serving Carnarvon, Kalbarri and Monkey Mia anymore? Who knows? We may have another new airline fly to those ports like Network or Maroomba for example.

Let's face it - airfares to these destinations are never going to be cheap - doesn't matter which airline flies there. I paid $300 (with Skippers) from Perth to Carnarvon and back - which is similiar to Skywest. If you book early enough - then you can get a reasonable priced airfare but if you book late - then expect to pay heaps.

I guess the only positive thing with flying in a Brasilia is that the Braz is quicker than an F50. As for the Dash 8 - well Skippers use the 200 version and that version has roughly the same speed as the F50. In fact my return trip to Perth is on the Skippers Dash 8. Miss the F50 though.

Cheers,
Saintly.