PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Posted on the Wannabe Forum
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2011, 05:44
Voiceofreason

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you saying that there are zero ID90 tickets to travel to and from work? You mean I am paying for a ZED fair which basically means I will be paying for the taxes?
You can commute on ID90 fares, and many do - provided you find someone decent enough to grant you his jumpseat.

To be honest, the idea of living in the city is somewhat of a turn off to me. I would much prefer to be 45 min to 1 hour outside and commute in. Am I to assume that voiceofreasons 12k for 1400 Sq. Ft. is a reasonable price if you live outside the main city?
I tend to agree with you. As I said, though, my 12k is based on a 70% mortgage, and I/the bank paid HK$6.3m to get that 1400 sqft place. To rent it would probably be double that.

Finally, taxes! Living within HK I am to assume everything is taxed at 15%?
Salary is taxed on a variable scale, depending on how much you can deduct due to dependants/kids etc. Last year I think I paid just over 10% (although you will have to pay provisional tax - kind of a system of next year's tax in advance - a b!tch when you first arrive). Budgeting for 12% is probably fair until you start making your way up the ranks, but it's capped at 15% in any event.