PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 22nd Mar 2011, 21:26
Sporran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Juan Tripp,

Good summing up of the situation. The following statement is so very true....

"We ALL know that you can't have a bid system with the crazy differances of extras that certain destinations pay. The pilots had that one for years. Had Bassa been proactive ( there is a first time for everything) they would have seen that having having huge extra payments on a small number of flights, SIN.HKG, NRT etc, was potential disaster. In fact I spoke to a number of reps years ago about this but to no avail. Put all the money into one pot, divide it more fairly, and bingo. We could have had a bidding system. Same for allowances. When the pilots accepted £2.57/hour, we were offered the same, as well as a massive saving from the taxman. But Bassa didn't even speak to a company tax expert. No it was trashed sadly like so many things. The worst thing is that this was SO predictable. The one thing I've learnt in BA, is that where money is involved,then rarely the pilots get it wrong"

The huge difference in the different styles of NEGOTIATION is that the BALPA guys talk to the company well before the event, they then properly research the financial implications and they then are able to present BA with a reasoned argument. They have a very good grasp of the financial realities and open and honest debate is actively encouraged with BALPA members.

On the other hand ........ bassa have shown a total inability to negotiate, they know as much about finances as I know about brain surgery, (their grasp of finances being displayed by their £173M loan which was really only about £52M) and their reasoned argument equates to 'give us what we want or we will go on strike'!!! Not only do they not have a grasp of the financial realitites, but any voice that speaks out against the bassa line is extinguished!!

No matter what happens in the next couple of weeks I think it is essential to have a total clear out of the 'top table' at bassa!