PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Locked Flight Deck Doors - Ryanair
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2002, 21:36
Devils Advocate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

shredder - w.r.t. How well it will work in the event of an another attack will depend on crews following their SOPs... uhm, one would imagine that the crews aboard the 911 aircraft all followed SOP's ( as best they could under the circumstances ), and likewise it would not be beyond the imagination to think that the flight-crew didn't have much of a chance to consult what their QRH has to say about being hijacked ( but, given the circumstances, it would not of helped them ), and of course one would also imagine that the flight deck door was locked ( as per the FAR's ).

So please run it by me again, i.e. how sticking to SOP's is going to stop an assault on the flight deck, by a group of fit, highly trained desperado’s, and particularly so when they don’t care if they live or die ?!

Basically, unless airlines fit something akin to what ElAl have then no current ‘locked flight deck door policy’ is going to work, i.e. all the time that pilots have to eat, drink, and / or take a p!ss or a crap then the door has on occasions to be opened when in-flight – and at that moment, whether it’s reinforced or not, will have little effect ( coz the door is then open ! ), and perhaps worse is the fact that should terrorists actually get into the flight deck they’ll close and lock that nice, new, heavily armoured door such that it will then protect them from being ejected from the flight deck – and veritably it’s a “GOTCHA !”