PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 21st Mar 2011, 23:06
Fender Strat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A question for BASSA members (and indeed ex BASSA members)

How come given in 1997

The government's Trade Union Certification Office confirmed yesterday that it had conducted a year-long investigation into allegations of financial irregularity at Bassa, which involved interviewing Mr Coleman.
The Certification Officer, Ted Whybrew, decided to take no further action, writing in a letter to Mr Morris last month: "From what I have seen there is no evidence of a significant issue of financial corruption in which members' funds were diverted to private gain.
"But there is evidence of extremely bad administration, weak financial controls and non-implementation of the union's own rules regarding the control of branch finances."
no-one in BASSA seems to have bothered to ensure that the situation did not reoccur. You see, being a bear of little brain I would have thought that knowing that questions had been raised in the past and taking on board the comments about bad administration, weak financial controls etc. I would have thought that the membership might just have wanted to see some kind of corrective action being taken. A bit of transparency. Or is it that having shelled out the cash, they no longer care what happens to it.

What do BASSA members believe they are buying for their dues ? In a time when cash is tight and given the concerns about pay, allowances etc. I would have thought that people would want to make sure that every penny they are paying out was returning value for money. I certainly would. Heavens, if you think of it like car insurance, you wouldn't stay with the same insurer year in year out. If cash is tight you'd shop around a bit. Either that or seek some reassurance that the amount you are paying out is actually needed.

What I find incredible is that 14 years on we have a situation which seems awfully similar to that which pertained in 1997. A branch secretary sacked by BA and questions starting to be asked (albeit by ex members) about the branch finances. I will wager that if it results in an inquiry by the Certification Office, that they will be able to dust off the previous report, change the dates and names and reissue it. So much for learning lessons from the past.

Of course I might have it completely wrong. I'd welcome comment from any past or present BASSA members that can show that the membership did take steps following the 1997 report.