PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 21st Mar 2011, 11:16
clanger32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't really want to respond to this thread again, as it just re-hashes the same old arguments and certainly I have no wish to engage/enrage DSB just because we disagree on this point - I've certainly seen enough in the postings to see we agree largely on other things. However, a couple of points:
  1. To be VERY clear, right now I wouldn't recommend an integrated course. I'm with Redsnail, WWW and everyone else...time your training. It's NOT that I'm saying "integrated is better"....WWW summed it up perfectly as far as I'm concerned "integrated when it's good, modular when it's smelly". It's still vaguely whiffy right now.
  2. DSB - where we DO disagree, is that no, the difference in our theoretical example is NOT the difference between PP24 and PP25. it IS PP25. I get the impression that you haven't really stopped to try and analyse what I'm saying, because you are just disagreeing with ME. Remember your ATPL exams - look for evidence which DISPROVES your current thinking, not that supports it. Look at it this way - right down in column A the yearly pay point from 1 to 25. Now repeat in column 2, but exclude pp25 (because, as per our example, student B will never REACH pp25 - because they finished a year after student A. Again, note that this is NOTHING to do with "speed of getting a job" - it's just that Student A CAN get a job a year earlier, because they finsihed the training earlier - it actually does NOT include the concept that Integrated MAY get a job quicker). Now, with your two columns, cross reference - play "snap" with the numbers. you will find that you can cross out EVERY SINGLE NUMBER in column A from the numbers in column B. Except PP25. THAT is the difference. That is what you will have NOT earned in your new career by finishing later. Please - don't just react and say "what a load of horsesh... Clanger is talking"....go and do it. Really - go and put it into a spreadsheet. You're right, the difference is offset by the fact you're still earning your £43k in student A's year one.....but would you rather have the £109k TC pay for that year, or the £43k?
RS - you're absolutely right- thing is, I took a gamble - I started training at the best ever time for low houred recruitment....unfortunately some pillock broke the economy whilst I was training. I am more or less resigned to the fact that I will never fly professionally now. I have no debt whatsoever (other than my mortgage...). do I REGRET it? Difficult question. Sure, I could use the £70k in my bank now, but I went for it, I could not have given anything more to it and I finished with the best possible opportunity to gain employment. I was also unlucky in that I just missed selection for your mob, although I did enjoy Lisbon But sometimes that's just the curveball life throws you. My ONLY intent in offering ANY opinion on these forums is to provide MY experience and to try and present a clear picture. There is MORE than enough I wouldn't argue against someone slating an integrated course for, but if we're doing the pure "cost" then I feel it should be balanced correctly, NOT taking the cheapest possible way of doing one method and comparing it against the most expensive route for the other.