PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why so few girls ?
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2002, 12:46
A-V-8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flower, I'm not sure if the rules regarding flying while pregnant are covered by the FAA or are my own carriers rules.

It used to be that the moment you were found pregant at this company you were grounded. Generally you used up your sick leave, then vacation, then no pay.

Then a New York based F/O filed for 55% medical disability pay during her pregnancy. She claimed pregnancy was a physical disability; here in this country you cannot discriminate in any way against disabilities. The Company then gave her a job teaching CLR to Flight Attendents. (Which in this case was like putting Dracula in charge of the Blood Bank.)

I'm not sure if she drew full pay or 55% pay for that, though I suspect full pay as they could use her for something and if they paid her 55% she would have stayed home.

I believe now the process is a grounding for the first trimester (To avoid fetus development problems) and a grounding during the last trimester.

Somewhere there is more information in the company website, when I return home I'll try to find it if you indicate you are interested in more.