PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C182 traits
Thread: C182 traits
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2002, 03:56
Wheeler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
182 is a real pussy cat - when you keep it on profile. Keep it at the right speed, not too high not too low, full flap (don't p around with partial stuff) and it lands very easily. (Just pure Cessna)Maybe a bit easier still with less than full tanks and someone in the back.

Come in too fast, too slow, too high, too low, (or all of the above) and it gets a bit more challenging. It will run out of elevator and hit the ground like a brick or float on and on (believe me, I've tried all combinations!). Above all, keep it off the nosewheel as long as poss. They can be a bit less benign if you try that one first. Crosswind landings are best accomplished with the side slipping technique (I find) and I still use full flap - that might be not be universally agreed though, again off the nosewheel and the brakes until you are sure you have it sorted out. Book says side-slipping with minimum flap for the field length concerned. (I really cannot understand all this use partial flap on Cessnas for landing, they land much better using all of it.)

Really a lovely aircraft and a real pleasure to fly when you get the hang. Decent amont of power, carries a reasonable load, climbs OK, reasonable range - does most things quite well. Very benign stall - when you can get it to.

Read the book - it really works
(Now would that be the AFM or the manufacturers FM or what?)