PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 18th Mar 2011, 15:34
Desert Strip Basher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, but nothing you have said changes my opinion. The living costs are covered within the working salary - £700 saving per month is above these, and allows for mortgage, bills, holidays (did you keep your other half on side with holidays during your integrated course?), car etc. I know as I've achieved it. Without anything coming in, food and living costs are taken from your savings, not your salary.

I'll take the bit about 2yrs - it probably is a bit longer though not necessarily. But then hey, that's more savings for the mod guy so take another £6-8k off the final modular situation. Doesn't bother me whether integrated is 12 months or 18 months - the cost is still substantially the same, beans on toast for 6 months doesn't amount to much.

Modular can be done for £35k - £45k - even cheaper if you actually love flying and have done hour building by towing gliders etc. So £40k is average. Typical cost for integrated is £75k (I'm considering FTE, CTC and Oxford - wouldn't include Cabair in this debate).

The increased earnings argument you make doesn't really stack up - as the mod guy still has a good job while on the job hunt. And the final bit - the modular bod can time the final push - luckily it sounds like your friends could go back to their day jobs. Good for them. Was integrated really worthwhile?? You sound a little bitter....................

Last edited by Desert Strip Basher; 18th Mar 2011 at 16:00.