PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just a thought for the airline bosses out there....
Old 18th Mar 2011, 09:51
P-T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not Qualified

I think a lot of people are forgetting that these well motivated, enthusiastic Ex-Mil Pilots will not be qualified with an ATPL on leaving the RAF. They may have their wings, but that doesn't count for anything in the civilian world of flying until you have 500 command time. (This is my understanding from LASORS and from my time in the RAF).

Therefore for these individuals to be suited for the job, they'll need to undertake a FULL ATPL course at a cost of £60k or more and then they wont be qualified for at least 18 months and most of them aren't being released for another 6-12 months (Again, I could be wrong, but this is my understanding after talking to a few of the guys in this situation).

Now I'll be the first one to stand up for the work ethic and morals of the Ex-Military Flight Crew, but in reality, unless they stump up the £60k themselves now and do it part time while they are waiting for the withdrawal from training date sometime in the future then these individuals will not be ATPL qualified for up to 2.5 years. I cant see any airline stumping up the money for the ATPL and type rating regardless if they were in the right "Squadron" or not.

We're also assuming all 100 or so are wanting to be Airline pilots. Most of the FJ Pilots I know don't want the lifestyle and have had a gut full of flying.

However, the Pilots in the position to retire in the near future that have been plugging in the hours on the E-3D and C-17 and other Multi Engine aircraft will have a much smoother transition into the civilian world.

I'm happy to be corrected if wrong, but this is my picture of the current situation. Those newly qualified without a job in the Civvie world need not panic about too much competition yet.

However, give it 2.5 years and there will be a lot of high quality competition.