PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why so few girls ?
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2002, 17:51
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charlie Foxtrot India,

I know a similar flying school in the UK. The owner/f/w CFI is female, as is the helicopter CFI and one of the other f/w instructors. It's the only UK flying school I've ever walked into where I've felt completely at home, and just been treated normally (in the US I found much less prejudice, as I've said before). That fact is proof, if I needed it, that I wasn't imagining the strange reactions I get in every other flying school. I daresay when an organisation gets to the point that women are not a minority, they become accepted. This particular flying school has a 50:50 male/female student ratio too. I could speculate as to why - do the women get recommended, no they not get put off when they come along, or what? I've no idea.

What do you mean: "Perception of prejudice and discrimination can become a self fulfilling prophecy"? That we're perceiving it when it's not there? That we should pretend it isn't there when it is? That we should keep quiet about it and be nice - the traditional female role when such things occur?

I think there have been enough personal experiences posted here - and enough prejudice! - for it to be clear that it's there. And as I think I've said, being the sort of person who says it as I find it, I can't see any reason to be different and keep quiet about this. Yes, I know that in itself may make me unpopular. The upfront aggressive bitch - who if she was male would be perceived as strong and masterful. I've heard it, and I don't care. Because if the price of acceptance is being a sweet acquiescent woman - no way, that's far too high a price to pay!!!!