PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career as a pilot starting with 1 hour at 43 years old?
Old 16th Mar 2011, 11:21
Russkly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly, thanks to you all for your comments - it's really helping me build a picture of a future in flying (or not!).

@redsnail:
Very helpful post, thank you.
Seems that GA might be even more challenging than airline work, for which I am too old!

@Ronand:
Very helpful post too, thanks.
As per above, airlines are clearly out for me for a variety of reasons, so that only leaves GA.
When you say "Airtaxi", do you mean the guys who fly charter jets for business people, etc?

In summary, then:
  • Airlines are out.
  • To do airtaxi work (flying 'small' exec jets on a charter basis, correct?), I would need to consider the following:
    • JAR PPL (approx. €11K here in Spain).
    • PPL hours (min. 45) + another 100 or so to qualify for JAR CPL (approx. €15K?).
    • CPL+ME+IR+MCC+Biz Jet rating (approx. €85K).
    • Total = Approx. €110K at best.
    • Time = Approx. 12 months (given I am not working at present)? Realistic?
    • At the end of that I am fully qualified to fly e.g. Learjet as PIC (or just as FO initially?) with no hours-on-type for approx. €25K p.a. If I can find a job at all, and if I network very effectively and am prepared to move from Barcelona?
Wow!
Might be time to reconsider completely - mid-life crisis career change options reduced by 1.

Still, great information, and it's better to go in with eyes wide open.

I think I'll crack on with the PPL, because it'll be a great personal challenge/achievement (if I pass), talk to the flying school (Fly-in-Spain, Jerez) instructors and staff and take it from there.

Once again, thanks to you all for your information and advice.