PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career as a pilot starting with 1 hour at 43 years old?
Old 16th Mar 2011, 00:30
Ronand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you might have a chance working as an Instructor or Airtaxi pilot. And be prepared to relocate even for this kind of low paid job. Keep in mind that with instructing or air taxi you will never really make more than 20k a year (I can speak out of experience). But you cannot expect getting into any Airline if you start at this age. Maybe your best bet would be do your training modular and then pay for a biz jet rating yourself. Most guys who selffund a rating are buying Airliner ratings which are pretty much worthless without hrs on type. But I've seen a few openings for rated citation or learjet pilots with no minimum hr requirements. I think this route would be your best shot but still a gamble. The whole thing (Modular CPL ME IR + Biz jet rating) will cost you about 85000 euros if you do it clever, which is the same price as many people pay for integrated CPL ME IR courses. I believe An expensive integrated course like Oxford would be a waste of money for someone of your age as you most likely won't be able to get into any airline without experience.
There is One other option If you really wanna get into the airlines. Get a modular CPL ME IR as cheap as possible. Then get a 737 NG rating and buy a linetraining Package. There are Airlines in Asia offering linetraining+ 1 year guaranteed employment with a better salary than any instructor. I know it sucks big time to Pay for linetraining and it ruins the market, but I know people who have done it and have well paid jobs now. The whole thing would cost you about 100-120k I guess.
As odd as it sounds I believe this might actually be your best option if you have this kind of money on your hands....