PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why so few girls ?
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2002, 11:48
A-V-8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My experience with female airline pilots is that most of them are very good manipulators of the controls.

However, things change when they are in their late thirties and have their babies....In our airline they park themself on the widebodies, don't keep current, and most are adamant that they no longer want to be here but want to be home with their kids.

A couple of trips ago JFK is departing RW 31. There is a T-Procedure called "Track the centerline for 5 DME climb to 1500 feet turn left to Colts Neck VOR."

I tell my crew in the T/O briefing we are not going to comply with this. I see no reason to fly towards tall buildings when I can go over the water, dump fuel, and come back to land. And no way am I going to try to explain to the FAA why I passed a perfectly good airport (Newark) on the way to Colts Neck on one engine and didn't land.

The girl sez you must comply.

I say no, and explain why and how the obstacle clearance path is developed. In closing I say "You should read the Advisory Circular about this. It will answer a lot of your questions.

She replies, "I have two kids, and no time for this job."

(All of this was for naught, tho, talked to engineering and found out the T-Procedure was their to avoid a no fly zone after 9/11 which was no longer in effect....)

And don't even let me start with the pregnat F/0 who, when I asked for a step climb from FL 35 to FL 39 said "We can't climb to 390, MY BABY!"

I had a 777 bid last year and weasled my way out of it after recognising some of the names on the First Officer roster list.

I just cannot do it all by myself any more.