PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 15th Mar 2011, 20:34
Cherrytaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some excellent information here, really relevant to the current economic climate. I, like a lot of young people here was fully intent on going straight into an integrated course straight out of school (aged 17). However I was advised on all fronts (including here) to get a college degree first as it would allow me a "backup" plan if all failed with the flying. I am now just turned 23 and have a degree and masters under my belt and have secured a job, starting in September. Thankfully I am now in a position to do my ppl straight off as I have built up savings over the years. When I start working I will be in a position to save on a weekly basis and hopefully within a year or two be able to continue my flight training.

The integrated route would have been disastrous for me. It would have put my parents under significant financial pressure (something that none of us want to do) and the result more than likely would have been a fully qualified atpl pilot with no job and 100,000 Euro in debt. I am now in a position to comfortably complete my ppl and keep saving toward further training.

One thing however is that I am 23 and not getting any younger so I really want to get my skates on and get going.

The advice here on pprune really is invaluable with regards to integrated/modular and would urge any budding 18 year old's to consider the information provided seriously. Bit of a rant but just my 2 cent's.