PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career as a pilot starting with 1 hour at 43 years old?
Old 15th Mar 2011, 18:45
Russkly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Redsnail.

Many thanks for your speedy and informative post - I guess it is a bit of an old chestnut, and perhaps I should have searched better before posting a similar question.

In reply:

Yes, all squared away with the other half, and I've allocated what I think it would take to get to even frozen ATPL - approx. €100K. Sound right-ish?

I say ATPL, because I have been advised that many companies doing charters, etc. where the pilots don't actually need full ATPL ('just' CPL+ME+IR) are asking for ATPL with bags of hours (inc. on-type paid for by the individual!), because it's a buyers' market at present.

As to your second question, yes again. We'd be prepared to have me earning €25K a year for a couple of years, if it were taking me somewhere enjoyable and fulfilling (whilst accepting that I'd never be in the same financial category as in the previous job). In terms of actual target salary, that would be linked to location, I suppose, but I certainly don't need 6 figures.

So, it's looking positive thus far based on your questions!

I suppose the bottom line is: I could spend the next year or so getting as many qualifications as possible under my belt (whether that be CPL+ME+IR or even ATPL), but are there jobs out there afterwards?

Clearly I'm too old for airlines, but what's the situation like for instructors, crop spraying, tourist charters, exec. charters, parachute schools, etc? I found quite a lot of info on airline pilot hiring but haven't found any sites dealing with the many other forms of professional flying. If there are jobs, what kind of salaries are we looking at in Europe (in very general terms, of course)?

Again, thx for the advice - it is much appreciated, because clearly this is a big deal and a big money hole!