PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career as a pilot starting with 1 hour at 43 years old?
Old 15th Mar 2011, 17:40
Russkly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Career as a pilot starting with 1 hour at 43 years old?

Hi everyone.

I've just joined this forum, so please forgive me, if I've posted the wrong kind of question in the wrong forum!

I just wanted some basic advice, please, from people out there undergoing various stages of pilot training and pilot job hunting:

Having left my corporate/executive-type job last year, I am evaluating alternative career paths (ones that don't involve endless meetings, emails and corporate politics).

One of these is professional pilot (yes, I can almost hear the giggles from here!), since flying has always been an interest (although previously too expensive to pursue, especially since I haven't lived in the UK much in the last few years).

I live in Barcelona and am currently doing the ground study for the JAR PPL, which I'll be taking with Fly-in-Spain in Jerez in May (if I get through the mountain of learning!).

The idea was to use the PPL as a way of assessing interest, aptitude, etc. and also to talk to the instructors and staff about career opportunities in the industry.

However, I imagine they might be a little biased and interested in getting me to sign up for CPL/ME/IR, etc., so I thought I'd try to get an impartial feel from this forum.

In short, for a 43-year-old with 1 hour what are the chances of getting a job as a pilot; and I mean anywhere and as any kind of pilot?

For information I have funds and time to dedicate to this, should it appear feasible.

Sorry for the big post and the big question, but I hope some of you guys can offer me some pointers, even if they're negative, since my impression from research is that it's all about hours (+ on type), and that there are plenty of fully-qualified pilots out there kicking their heels already!

Thanks in advance for any help.