PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 15th Mar 2011, 15:34
clanger32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PP,
It's not worth fighting over - I think we're both saying the same thing (although WWW actually said it more concisely than either of us) - integrated is good when times is good, modular a better bet when times is bad.

However, and just cos I is a pedant, the Oxford course is 69500, the regulatory fees 5500. All travel to/from (and accomodation in) the US is included in that price. Yer 75k (still "OUCH!" btw) gets you from 0-fATPL in min hours - if you can do it = of course, with OAA, if you do need extra training, or worse - partial/fail a flight test, the cost can rack up REALLY quickly.

FTE is only more expensive only because of current Fx rates - if the Euroid swings back the other way [however unlikely that may be] then it could well get a lot cheaper than OAA. The point I was trying to illustrate is that OAA are never far from the top of the most expensive way to an fATPL - so to compare the self styled "best", to be fair you should surely be comparing with the "best" modular schools - that means NOT just selecting the cheapest mod courses, in the cheapest aircraft, in the cheapest possible place to do it and so on....or else the comparison is distorted to the point of being worthless - for example, I'm sure I could make a modular course that was MORE expensive than the Cabair integrated if I tried hard enough - it would be AS valid an argument, but everyone would instantly say it was rollox....and rightly so!

However, the overall point is that it's not a comparison that can easily be made. As noted previously, right now, even as ex-integrated, I'd recommend modular as the way forward. There is undeniably *A* saving to be had by going modular - I just sincerely doubt that it's the £10quinzillion pounds that it's often stated as,

Last edited by clanger32; 15th Mar 2011 at 16:04.