PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C182 traits
Thread: C182 traits
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2002, 07:39
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jamair

Thanks for your thoughts and yes I was feeling a bit peevish, sorry.

Towering Q

I take your point about the use or not of full flap on long strips.
Might I suggest that getting into the "habit" of not using full flap can have the same untintended consequences as met the skipper of QF1, so we need to be careful about that.

A word for those who spend their lives in and out of capital city secondaries and little time in the "country"
Dont get lazy.
E.G.
I recall getting a call from a hirer of a near brand spanking new C210 calling me from Newman with a concern about the aircrafts take off performance at Newman. For those who don't know the strip it is Elev. 1724' and 2072m.
He had rejected a GW TO just before he rang me "because he didn't think the aircraft was accelerating as fast as he was expecting, it was taking a long time and distance and he wasn't certain it would fly off in the remaining distance".

First "smart move".

My first question: Was the engine developing the maximum power available.?

Answer: Well I had full RPM and full throttle and FF in the TO arc.

Question the 2nd: What was the TO MAP.
Answer: I dont know exactly I wasn't checking that ???

I know the answer but cjam, heres a little test for you. How do you know whether you are getting what you paid for in engine performance.

Question the 3rd: Have you done a "P" chart calc.
Answer: NO I thought the strip being big enough for F28s it would be OK. It is longer than what I have been used to at Jandakot.
My comment was, it will almost certainly be, but go and do the calc for the ambients (circa 45C) and Elev 1724 and then for 20C and SL. and ring me back

He does and the light is now shining brightly, ??? except he is not sure how he can monitor the distance run against that required on TO.
Question the 4th: Why did God invent runway lights and markers??

After checking that he was getting the power (didn't need a run up just part of the routine TO checks, there's a clue cjam,counting the runway lights, away he went with much more confidence and a happy trip through the rest off the NW.

And he brought me a back a beautiful Barra..