PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dual Control Input whilst landing
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2011, 21:17
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ali, I think you might be a little bit outside your depth here. We are discussing the simultaneous handling of aircraft controls during a landing. Common sense says that only one person flies an aircraft at a time. The person who is not flying should NOT interfere with the person who is. Their job is to monitor the person flying.

As for letting less experienced crew fly an aircraft, that should not be safety issue. A modern airliner is designed to be flown by an average person (edit: for "person" read "pilot") under the worst of circumstances. So providing the aircraft is not being operated outside its operational limit, there should not be problem. However, some companies, mine include, may impose additional limitations on newly qualified pilots. But it is vital that whenever your colleague (whichever seat they are in) is flying, you touch nothing! If you want to take over, do so. But don't interfere.

John started this thread asking how he should handle insecure and under-confident captains who interfere with the controls when he is landing an aircraft. My answer remains the the same - give the prat control and then argue when the thing is safely on the ground.

PM

Last edited by Piltdown Man; 15th Mar 2011 at 12:56.