PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WHY DIFFERENT MDA FOR CIRCLING APP ON RECIPROCAL R/Ws
Old 14th Mar 2011, 14:07
aterpster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of this has to be laid at the door of the Indian aviation authority. Not only is there the imponderable about CTL minimums, both VOR IAPs should be VOR/DME because (forgeting LNAV for a moment) both require a DME fix for the FAF.

In my current Garmin database at least, both of these IAPs are called VOR/DME. Jeppesen apparently has that latitude with their database unlike the actual chart. Well, I guess the VOR 26 can be flown without DME as shown by the broken line in the profile. But, there is no such option on the VOR 08.

Maybe the guy who designed these IAPs also issues ATPs to Indian pilots.

As to wheter these three IAPs can be flown by an LNAV aircraft without use of raw data that is true for some operators, not true for others.

As to containment areas, they are very wide compared to the accuracy of LNAV. With U.S. TERPs the primary would be 1.25 miles each side of centerline at the NDB and 1.0 miles for the VOR. I believe the PANS-OPS values are a bit wider than that.