PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 14th Mar 2011, 10:29
clanger32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kieran,
Apologies for any part I have played in confusing you further. To be honest though, you seem to have it pretty well worked out on your own.
I was integrated. Bear that in mind as you read this.

The problem is with Mod Vs Integrated, that everyone does (or perhaps that should be "should do") their own research. For those such as me who chose integrated, it's very difficult to accept that perhaps we've spent a lot more money for no apparent increase in chances. Likewise, those who chose Modular don't want to admit that they've spent £50k and got nothing; whereas "if they'd only gone integrated...."

Therefore all the claims get blown up into ridiculous statements on both sides. The modular people will always tell you that you can do a full modular course for 28p-and-a-pack-of-peanuts-which-is-so-much-cheaper-than-integrated-which-costs-at-least-a-kazillion-pounds.

The integrated mob will tell you that "modular-is-for-no-hopers-who-can't-get-on-an-integrated-course-and-will-never-ever-be-able-to-fly-for-xyz airlines-because-they-only-take-integrated".

The truth is more likely that Modular will cost around £10-15k cheaper than an integrated course (not the £30-50k cheaper some will have you believe). The truth is more likely that an integrated course may give you a slight edge in a buoyant market.

The truth is, as you say yourself it's more about WHEN you finish than HOW you finish.

The point about "using the saving of going modular to get a TR and hours on type with a line training provider" hours is that there [appears to be] a backlash from a lot of the respectable airlines that means they would -at best- consider you to be no more qualified with your TR and hours than a fATPL. This is partly due to perceived quality of training and SOPs you've been ingrained into and partly due to the detrimental effect on the industry overall. The likes of Ryanair and easyJet won't touch you either, as you'll be too experienced to be a cadet and not experienced enough for a direct LHS entry - if any exist. So choose carefully...

Overall *I* would suggest you should budget for no change at all from £50k for modular. That's BUDGET for the hard of reading, not "spend". You should budget the thick end of £65k for Integrated. Anything else is chaff in the wind. You will have to live, regardless of how you train.

Overall, you're doing the right thing. Do your own research and make your own choice. Neither is wrong, neither is right. Fwiw, if I were going to start training all over again, I think I'd probably choose modular right now.