PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WHY DIFFERENT MDA FOR CIRCLING APP ON RECIPROCAL R/Ws
Old 14th Mar 2011, 08:10
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Given what I see here there is indeed no other way to fly this particular plate. If all this 'Garmin'/GPS NAV stuff (as presented) is progress I want none of it. The whole thing appears to be a waste of effort and certainly possibly dangerous and needs to be put back in the 'interesting' box until everyone catches up.

GPS in itself offers enormous benefit in both situation awareness and ultimately in the flying of an approach, but we do not appear to be 'there' at VOBZ (nor YPKA!) as far as I can see. Capn B - I think if I was presented with that picture I would turn down the screen lighting. Take away the 'magenta line' and we have a useful SA tool. Leave it there.....................?

Regarding VOBZ, since the NDB26 is the ONLY IFR approach for CAT C, I am amazed the the procedure is not annotated NDB/DME!

Originally Posted by aterp
Lacking that an IAP like this one requires monitoring of raw data; i.e., the NDB.
- I cannot follow your logic there ie "requires monitoring of raw data;" - it seems to me that one needs to discard the fancy gizmos and USE raw data? Right now - March 2011, the only advantage I can see for the 'overlay' is for Flight Simmers. Are you saying this sort of flying is actually 'approved'?

I really would appreciate someone who 'knows' explaining why the two circlings are different at VOBZ.

Last edited by BOAC; 14th Mar 2011 at 08:21.